maandag 31 juli 2023

Uncle Seymour Washington




 

Waitin' Around to Die

Sometimes I don't know whereThis dirty road is taking meSometimes I can't even see the reason whyI guess I keep a-gamblin'Lots of booze and lots of ramblin'It's easier than just waitin' around to die
 
One time, friends, I had a maI even had a paHe beat her with a belt once 'cause she criedShe told him to take care of meHeaded down to TennesseeIt's easier than just waitin' around to die
 
I came of age and I found a girlIn a Tuscaloosa barShe cleaned me out and hit in on the slyI tried to kill the pain, bought some wineAnd hopped a trainSeemed easier than just waitin' around to die
 
A friend said he knewWhere some easy money wasWe robbed a man, and brother did we flyThe posse caught up with meAnd drug me back to MuskogeeIt's two long years I've been waitin' around to die
 
Now I'm out of prisonI got me a friend at lastHe don't drink or steal or cheat or lieHis name's CodineHe's the nicest thing I've seenTogether we're gonna wait around and dieTogether we're gonna wait around and die

*

Heartworn Highways is a documentary film by James Szalapski whose vision captured some of the founders of the Outlaw Country movement in Texas and Tennessee in the last weeks of 1975 and the first weeks of 1976. The documentary covers singer-songwriters whose songs are more traditional to early folk and country music instead of following in the tradition of the previous generation.

The film maker goes to Austin and visits Townes Van Zandt and his girlfriend Cindy, his dog Geraldine, and Uncle Seymour Washington (1896-1977), who is also called "The Walking Blacksmith", and who gives his great worldly advice to the viewers and represents a very important aspect of the atmosphere that these songwriters living in the South are surrounded by and involved in (Wikipedia).


HD