woensdag 26 juli 2023

Sinéad O'Connor


 

 

Troy

I'll remember itAnd Dublin in a rainstormAnd sitting in the long grass in summerKeeping warmI'll remember itEvery restless nightWe were so young then We thought that everythingWe could possibly do were the rightThen we movedStolen from our very eyes And I wondered where you went toTell me when did the light dieYou will riseYou'll returnThe phoenix from the flameYou will learn You will riseYou'll returnBeing what you areThere is no other TroyFor you to burn
And I never meant to hurt youI swear I didn't mean Those things I saidI never meant to do that to youNext time I'll keep my hands to myself insteadOh, does she love youWhat do you want to do?Does she need you like I do?Do you love her?Is she good for you?Does she hold you like I do?
Do you want me?Should I leave?I know you're always telling me That you love meJust sometimes I wonder If I should believeOh, I love youGod, I love youI'd kill a dragon for youI'll dieBut I will rise And I will returnThe Phoenix from the flameI have learnedI will riseAnd you'll see me returnBeing what I amThere is no other TroyFor me to burn
And you should've left the light onYou should've left the light onThen I wouldn't have triedAnd you'd never have knownAnd I wouldn't have pulled you tighterNo I wouldn't have pulled you closeI wouldn't have screamedNo I can't let you goAnd the door wasn't closedNo I wouldn't have pulled you to meNo I wouldn't have kissed your faceYou wouldn't have begged me to hold you If we hadn't been there in the first placeOh but I know you wanted me to be there oh ohEvery look that you threw told me soBut you should've left the light onYou should've left the light onAnd the flames burned awayBut you're still spitting fireMake no difference what you sayYou're still a liarYou're still a liarYou're still a liar

 

Vanavond werd bekend dat Sinéad O'Connor is overleden. Ze was 56 jaar en had een bijzonder ingewikkeld leven achter de rug. Sinds haar 17-jarige zoon Shane in januari 2022 zelfmoord pleegde leefde ze naar eigen zeggen nog slechts als een 'ondood nachtdier'.*1 Het lied Troy uit 1987 gaat over een zeer traumatische gebeurtenis uit haar jeugd. Voor straf mocht ze van haar moeder het huis niet meer in, waardoor ze twee weken lang gedwongen was om in een schuurtje in de tuin te slapen. Als 's avonds door haar moeder het licht binnen werd uitgedaan wist ze dat ze opnieuw een angstige nacht tegemoetging.


©Huub Drenth



Sinéad O'Connor: 1966-2023.

  

*1 Sinéad O'Conner stierf een natuurlijke dood, ten gevolge van longproblemen.

Zie ook mijn post van 17 december 2022.